One of the things I have started doing, in my pursuit of health, is eating an energizing and nutritious breakfast. Not only does it get my metabolism going for the day, but I also started taking vitamin supplements and you have to take them with food (meh). Long gone are the days when breakfast consisted of a diet coke and a cigarette!
Anyway, I always loved oatmeal, but looking for something that packs a bigger nutritional punch, I decided to try a quinoa porridge. One of the best reasons to enjoy quinoa is because it has a high-protein content, which makes it a great cholesterol-free and low-fat source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. Also, quinoa is one of few foods that are considered a complete protein, meaning that it contains an adequate proportion of all nine of the essential amino acids necessary for the dietary needs of humans or other animals. A complete protein contains them in correct proportions for supporting biological functions in the human body.
I found a few recipes (there are tons on Pinterest!) and played around until I was satisfied. This isn’t quite the same consistency of oatmeal, so don’t expect it to be, but the flavor is awesome. I had just made my PMS Crunch mix (aka trail mix with pecans and cranberries) so I was on a toasted nut and dried fruit kick. With quinoa porridge you can really just throw whatever you want on top, or nothing at all, your choice. Any nuts or fruit (fresh and dried) work well.
Pecan Cranberry Quinoa Porridge (serves one)
What you need
- 1/4 cup White quinoa
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Stevia to taste (I just sprinkle a little in, maybe a 1/4 teaspoon?)
- Toasted pecans (or your favorite nut)
- Dried Cranberries (or your favorite fruit)
What to do
- Bring quinoa and almond milk to a boil – don’t got far this can happen quickly and boil over
- Reduce heat to medium low and add coconut oil, cinnamon and stevie
- Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed stirring every now and again, about 15 minutes
- Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite nuts and dried fruit