I found an interesting recipe for a creamy avocado pasta sauce. Yes, PASTA! Those of us who are wheat free or gluten free can still enjoy the pleasure of pasta, there are plenty of healthy and good tasting alternatives. For this recipe i went with a quinoa pasta from Ancient Grains.
This pasta sauce is rich and creamy, but there is no dairy in it and the avocado and olive oil provide lots of healthy fats. I highly recommend giving this a try, I didn’t follow the recipe exactly (i.e. all my measuring cups were dirty) and i think I might have needed a tad more olive oil, because mine came out close to a spread. But a little more olive oil thins it out nicely. This sauce is also somewhat like a pesto, garlic, basil, olive oil. If you were not trying to go dairy free, you could probably throw some parmigiana or pecorino in there too. Feel free to experiment!
I wanted to add a little salad on the side, a big plate of pasta, even if it is wheat free, needs to be broken up a bit with something fresh and maybe even acidic. So on the side i added a caprese salad (not dairy free!) with a fig balsamic glaze.
Creamy Avocado Lemon Sauce (serves 2-3)
What You’ll Need:
- 1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
- 2-3 garlic cloves, to taste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil, (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
What to Do:
- Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.
- When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately.
Caprese Salad (serves 2-3)
What you need:
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes (or any tomato you prefer)
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella
- 6-8 Fresh basil leaves
- Blaze Fig & Balsamic Glaze (or your favorite balsamic vinegar)
- Olive Oil
What to do:
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella in rounds of approximately the same size.
- Cut basil leaves in half, unless they are pretty small (you want them to be similar size as the mozzarella and tomato slices)
- Layer tomato, mozzarella, and basil three times per plate (or however much you want to eat!)
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and olive oil (just a little drizzle over the top, don’t soak it!)